Friday, August 30, 2013

Rule of law

Student Name: Alexus Caulk
Class BUSCH Contracts, Negotiations and Copyrights
Judge or Lawyer’s Name: Vincent Bradford
District or Firm’s Name: Vincent Bradford

My lawyer had a lot more to say but I narrowed it down because this was the first time I had to talk to my Lawyer for that long of a time(Boy my uncle could talk) . I was not saying much but boy would he not stop. “One of the major challenges for legal institutions in regulating copyrights is simply that modern intellectual property is so easy to copy.”(Beatty & Samuelson pg. 508) People use things illegally all the time in fact “In 2008, 40 billion songs were downloaded illegally,” (Beatty & Samuelson pg. 508) I was trying to outsmart my Lawyer and ask him what if people act like they didn't know the copyright existed, or they just delete information. He told me what if people act like they didn't know they stabbed someone 20 times and just forgot it ever happened? So I was reading the book and it answered my question.” It is illegal to delete copyright information, such as the name of the author or the title of the article.”(Beatty & Samuelson pg.509) The law Congress passed the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) gives people there protection to prevent others for taking credit for their work. No one thinks it affects anyone for copyright infringing or even going on the internet any downloading all these songs illegally. “People seem to believe that if it is easy to steal something, then the theft is somehow acceptable. In one survey of adolescents aged 12 to 17, 75 percent agreed with the statement, “file sharing is so easy to do; it's unrealistic to expect people not to do it.”(Beatty & Samuelson pg.508) My questions seem simple but the answers were a nice thing to know because people think they can get over on others copyrights. Someone else worked hard on what you are stealing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment